Long-term visa for Germany

If you intend to stay longer than three months in Germany, you have to apply for a long-term visa.

Compared to the Schengen Visa there are different requirements for these long-term visas. Most categories of long term visas cannot be issued without the approval of the responsible local Immigration Authority in Germany; the visa can therefore only be issued once the Consulate General has received this approval.A processing time of several months must be expected.

General information about long-term visas

General information about long-term visas to Germany can be found here.


Working in Germany

There are two categories for a work visa: General employment or self-employment. Please read here for more information.

Hörsaal einer deutschen Universität

Study in Germany / Scientific research in Germany

If you intend to study in Germany, to enrol in a German language course or conduct scientific research, you need to apply for a visa.


Family Reunion

Spouses to a German partner or parents with a German child can apply for a Family Reunion visa.


Blue Card

The EU Blue Card is aimed at highly qualified candidates, i.e. non-EU nationals holding a German or otherwise recognised equivalent university degree.

Long-term visa

Muster eines elektronischen Aufenthaltstitels (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) in Deutschland

Make an appointment


An appointment is needed at all missions in Australia. Depending on the mission, the appointment can be made online or over the phone.

Application form long-term visa


Please find the application form for a long-term visa for Germany here.