Since the production and shipment of biometric passports can take up to several weeks, the German Consulate can issue a temporary passport in addition to the biometric passport in case of proven emergencies. A temporary passport is valid up to 1 year and will be invalidated upon receipt of the biometric passport.
Passport applicants are required to apply in person and by appointment.
Please note: Some countries do not accept the temporary passport as valid travel document (e.g. no visa-free entry to the US). We therefore recommend you to check with the airline resp. with the country of destination before you apply.
The following is required for an application:
(Please provide the original and one photocopy per document)
- Application form (available for download at the right)
- Two recent, identical, biometric passport photos
- current/ last German passport (not applicable for first time applications)
- Full Birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
- Marriage certificate, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Certificate of name change, if applicable
- German naturalisation certificate, if applicable
- If naturalized abroad: naturalization certificate and "Beibehaltungsurkunde"
- If applicable: Citizenship certificate
- If you are a resident in Australia (not a citizen): Current
VEVO (not older than 2 weeks)
Visa Entitlement Verification Online
- proof of residence in Australia (e.g. Australian driver's licence)
- prepaid registered mail envelope (large, for dispatch within Australia) with your address. Please note that the German Missions will not be held responsible for any loss or damage of passports due to postal or courier service delivery.
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport)
Please note that your application can only be accepted if the above documents are complete. If the documentation is incomplete you might have to make a new appointment.