Registration of marriage or same-sex partnership

General information

German law does not require the registration of a marriage concluded abroad of a German national with a German authority. However if you would like to obtain a German marriage certificate, you can file an application to register the marriage in the German marriage register.

Only the spouses can apply for a marriage registration. If you wish to change your name after the marriage (name declaration), both spouses have to sign the application. If a name declaration is not required, the marriage registration can be made by either of the spouses alone.

The explanations above apply for same-sex partnerships, too. Please note that an Australian "de facto" partnership cannot be registered in the German marriage registry.

If you want to apply for a German marriage certificate, please make your appointment online (category "Consular Service")

Make an appointment


The following documents are required as originals and two photocopies each:

  • Completed form (please write in capital letters and do not sign the form yet)
  • Marriage certificate or (de-facto) relationship certificate for same-sex couples
  • Valid passports for both partners (or German identity card/Personalausweis)
  • Naturalisation certificate and "Beibehaltungsurkunde" if applicable
  • Birth certificates of partners
  • If applicable: Proof of a married name (Bescheinigung über die Namensführung in der Ehe issued by a German registrar’s office)
  • If applicable: certificates of all previous marriages/civil partnerships
  • Divorce orderse for divorcees
  • Proof of residence in Australia (e.g. Australien driver's licence)
  • German deregistration certificate (Abmeldebescheinigung) from your last German place of residence or current registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) from your most recent address in Germany
  • English or German translations of foreign documents (usually not required for English or “international” documents, for example international birth certificates)
  • Birth certificates for all children the partners have together

Depending on the case more documents can become necessary or may subsequently be requested by the relevant register office (Standesamt) in Germany.

Your application will then be forwarded to the competent register office (Standesamt) in Germany, where it will be processed.


Two different fees incur;

1) Fees to be paid at your appointment at the (Honorary) Consulate for certifying your signature on the application form (25 EUR) and certifying the copies to be sent to the Registry Office in Germany (10 EUR per document). All fees to be in paid in AUD according to current exchange rate.

2) Fees charged by the Registry Office in Germany for processing your application and issueing a birth certificate are usually between 80 and 120 EUR and are to be paid directly to the Registry Office per bank transfer. These fees cannot be paid to the Consulates in Australia. Once your application is processed in Germany, you will receive an email with payment details.

Processing times

Please note that we cannot predict how long this process will take. Processing times may vary considerably depending on the complexity of the case and the individual registrar’s office and might amount to a few years.

All statements mentioned on this website are based on knowledge and experiences of the German missions in Australia at the time the website was published.  As far as correctness and completeness are concerned this information is supplied without liability.

Registration of marriage

Make an appointment


An appointment is needed at all missions in Australia. Depending on the mission, the appointment can be made online or over the phone.

Find your nearest Consulate

map of Australia with German missions

Two German Missions and ten Honorary Consuls throughout Australia offer consular services. Each mission covers a specific geographic region. To find out which Mission can assist you, what the hours of operation are and how to reach it please use our interactive Consulate Finder.

Application form registration of marriage


Form available in German only.

Application form registration of same-sex partnership


Form available in German only.