Registration of birth - getting a German birth certificate

Registration of a child’s birth

If your child was born in Australia you have to register the birth with the local Australianregistry office (Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages). German law does not require the registration at a German authority; you may use the Australian birth certificate when applying for a passport for the child. If you want to have a German birth certificate for your child, you will need to register the birth in Germany.

Please note: If the German parent of the child was born outside Germany after the 31st December 1999, the child will only obtain German citizenship when its birth is registered in Germany before the child’s first birthday. See more information here:


Important: In German law a child whose parents are married at the time of the child’s birth and who bear a married name (Ehename) will obtain the parents’ married name as birth name. In cases where the parents are married, but do not have a married name, or when the parents are not married and another name as the mother’s surname is desired as the child’s surname, the parents will have to make a name declaration as part of the birth registration.

More information about German name law

If a name declaration is not needed, the application for registration of a child's birth can also be lodged by one parent alone. 

To register your child's birth in Germany, please book an appointment (category "Consular Service"). Pleae note that if a name declaration is needed, both parents will have to come to the appointment, as their signatures have to be certified on the application form.

Make an appointment


At the appointment, the following documents are required as originals and two photocopies each:

  • Completed form (please write in capital letters and do not sign the form yet)
  • Valid passports for both parents (or German identity card/Personalausweis)
  • Birth certificates of both parents
  • Child’s birth certificate
  • If you wish to make a name declaration by choosing the foreign law of one parent, proof that the child bears the intended name under the law of the respective country (passport or birth certificate issued by the authorities of that country)
  • If you are married: your marriage certificate
  • Divorce order for divorcees
  • If the child and/ or a parent got naturalized: Naturalisation certificate and "Beibehaltungsurkunde", if applicable
  • Proof of residence in Australia (e.g. Australian driver's licence)
  • German deregistration certificate (Abmeldebescheinigung) from your last German place of residence or current registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) from your most recent address in Germany
  • Translations of foreign documents (usually not required for English or “international” documents, for example international birth certificates)
  • Birth certificates of all other children of the parents including older siblings
  • Name certificates of siblings, if applicable

Depending on the case more documents can become necessary or may subsequently be requested by the relevant register office (Standesamt) in Germany.

Your application will then be forwarded to the competent registry office (Standesamt) in Germany, where it will be processed.


Two different fees incur;

1) Fees to be paid at your appointment at the (Honorary) Consulate for certifying your signature on the application form (25 EUR) and certifying the copies to be sent to the Registry Office in Germany (10 EUR per document). All fees to be in paid in AUD according to current exchange rate.

2) Fees charged by the Registry Office in Germany for processing your application and issueing a birth certificate are usually between 80 and 120 EUR and are to be paid directly to the Registry Office per bank transfer. These fees cannot be paid to the Consulates in Australia. Once your application is processed in Germany, you will receive an email with payment details.

Processing times

Please note that we cannot predict how long this process will take. Processing times may vary considerably depending on the complexity of the case and the individual registrar’s office and might amount to a few years.

Registration of birth

Midwife (r) assisting mother and baby

Make an appointment


An appointment is needed at all missions in Australia. Depending on the mission, the appointment can be made online or over the phone.

Find your nearest Consulate

map of Australia with German missions

Two German Missions and ten Honorary Consuls throughout Australia offer consular services. Each mission covers a specific geographic region. To find out which Mission can assist you, what the hours of operation are and how to reach it please use our interactive Consulate Finder.

Application form registration of birth


Application form available in German only.